On 28 October 1648, the son of
Mayor De Graeff laid the first stone of the new town hall. The Munster Treaty
had been signed shortly beforehand, ending the 80 Years War between the Dutch
Republic and Spain. The town hall was designed by architect Jacob van Campen
partly as a monument to this important event. It was logical that the bronze
statue of Peace would take pride of place on the façade of the building.